Aval Vilayichathu is a popular sweet snack of Kerala, made with beaten rice, coconut and jaggery. This is one snack I used to enjoy as a kid. The recipe I am sharing is the one I noted down while my Mom was preparing it.
Here’s the recipe.
Source: My Mom
- 250 gms Rice Beaten (Poha/ Aval)
- 400 gms Jaggery
- 1/2 cup Water
- 200 gms coconut Grated
- 2 tablespoons Cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons Bengal gram Roasted
- 2 tablespoons Black sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- Take the jaggery and water in pan and boil till the jaggery has completely melted and the mixture turns slightly thick (one string consistency). Strain and keep aside.
- Fry the roasted bengal gram, sesame seeds and cashew nuts separately in clarified butter and keep aside.
- Pour the strained melted jaggery into a pan.Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, add the beaten rice and mix well till well blended.
- Tip in the fried bengal gram, cashew nuts and sesame seeds.
- Lastly add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Switch off heat. While serving, you could add banana slices and mix or serve plain.