I have always been drawn to trying out something new than preparing the usual menu. So I’m always on the lookout for that inspiration. This time, I was inspired by my little sister. During our chat session, she was going on about a unique jam she tasted. Bacon Jam. Though I’ve seen them on TV, I never got the opportunity to taste them. Naturally,it piqued my curiosity. As expected, next thing to do was to google for a recipe.
I followed Martha Stewart’s recipe with minor tweaking. All of us loved it. You can use in sandwiches, burgers, rolls etc.
- 250 gms Bacon
- 1/2 cup Onion Chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic cloves paste
- 2 teaspoons Chilli powder (or less)
- 2 - 1/2 tablespoons Cider vinegar
- 2 - 1/2 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1 - 1/4 tablespoons Maple syrup Honey /
- 4 tablespoons Coffee Brewed
- Heat a pan.
- Place the bacon strip and cook till brown on both sides. No need to add oil as the bacon will cook in its own fat.
- Drain onto an absorbent paper.
- Chop them into small pieces. Keep aside.
- Drain all the fat except 1 tablespoon.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic paste.
- Cook till the onion becomes light brown.
- Add the chilli powder and stir for a few seconds.
- Now add the cider vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup and coffee and mix well.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, tip in the bacon and mix well.
- If you feel that it is drying out, you may add some water.
- Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, till the mixture becomes syrupy.
- Switch off heat.
- Once cool, transfer to a grinder and pulse it to achieve the consistency you like.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
- Store in refrigerator for upto a month.