I have been craving for Baklava for a while now. The only thing that stopped me from making this at home were the non availability of Phyllo Sheets. Though I have been toying with the idea of making Phyllo sheets at home, it was only now that I put my thoughts into action. With the Phyllo sheets in hand, I just couldn’t wait to make Baklava. I followed the recipe from Xawaas. I wasn’t too sure if my boys would like it. But their response swept me off my feet. “Yumm….Crunchy, not too sweet, just right !!” were those magical words.. Moment of Bliss for me !!!
Some people prefer using just pistachios for the filling. It’s totally your choice. You can find the recipe of Phyllo sheets here.
- 20 Phyllo sheets
- 1 cup Butter
For the Filling
- 1/3 cup Cashew nuts
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup Sugar Powdered
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
For the Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice - (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange water blossom (or Rose essence)
- For the Sugar Syrup
- Take sugar, water and lemon juice in a pan.
- Boil on medium heat till you get a thick syrupy consistency.
- Add the orange blossom water or rose essence.
- Allow to cool.
- For the Filling
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place all the nuts in a baking tray and spread them evenly.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or golden colour.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Powder the nuts.
- Place in a bowl.
- Add the sugar, salt, cinnamon powder and cardamom powder and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat butter in a pan till brown in colour.
- Remove the scum and keep the butter aside.
- Assembling The Baklava
- Preheat oven to 150 C.
- Take the phyllo sheets and trim them to fit into your baking tray.
- Grease the baking dish with the browned butter.
- Place a phyllo sheet. It's perfectly okay if its a bit wrinkled or torn. 🙂
- Apply butter on the sheet generously.
- Place another sheet.
- Continue the process till 5 sheets are used up.
- Put 1/3 cup of the filling on top of the 5th sheet.
- Spread the filling evenly.
- Place another sheet and butter it.
- Continue till another 5 sheets are used up.
- Put 1/3 cup of the filling on top of the 10th sheet.
- Continue this process in such a way that you will have 4 layers of 5 sheets alternated with 3 layers of filling.
- The finishing will be with the set of 5 sheets.
- Cut into desired shape.
- Drizzle the remaining butter on top.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or till you get a golden brown top.
- Drizzle 3/4 th of the sugar syrup evenly all over immediately.
- If you want more sweetness, you may add the remaining syrup.
- Serve after the sugar syrup is absorbed completely.