Beaten Coffee / Dalgona Coffee
We got married while J was doing a course. ‘Calling On’ friends was a routine affair. During one such visit to a colleague’s house, the lady offered to make some coffee, to which we agreed. I was surprised to see her returning from the kitchen with a cup and spoon and beating away. I couldn’t help asking what she was doing and pop came the reply, “I am beating the coffee powder for the coffee”. Huh??? Have heard of filter coffee, instant coffee etc..but Beaten Coffee???? Naturally I was intrigued. The result was a frothy light coffee that I thoroughly enjoyed
That was years back, and in all these years I never really bothered to try my hand at making our Desi Espresso. A recent visit to our dear friends, the Mahajans, triggered my urge of attempting to make one. When I asked them the technique, they coached me and even offered to give me a little practice in beating the coffee. I must say they were good teachers
The measurement given below makes enough espresso for 3-4 cups of light coffee. However the milk-water combination I have mentioned is just for one cup of coffee. Please read the method carefully before starting. Step by step pictures are given for easy understanding
Desi Espresso aka Beaten Coffee
For the Coffee Mix
- 1 teaspoon Coffee powder
- 3 teaspoons Sugar Granulated - (adjust to suit your liking)
- as required Water for mixing
For the Coffee
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Water
- Take coffee powder in a cup or bowl.
- Add adequate sugar.
- Pour 1/2 teaspoon water into it and start beating.
- When you see it becoming thick, add a few drops of water and continue beating.
- Make sure you DON'T add lots of water at once.
- That is the trick of beating coffee.
- Keep adding water little by little and continue beating till it turns fluffy.
- When the volume of coffee increases by a factor of three and the mix turns a few shades lighter, you can consider it done.
- Patience and perseverance is the crux.
- Scoop out a spoon or more of this mix and place in a cup.
- Boil the milk with water and pour into the cup.
- You can see the mix floating atop the cup.
- Gently stir it with the spoon.
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder or shaved chocolate for an extra flavour.
- Serve hot and enjoy the frothy coffee!!!.