Catching up with friends is something all of us look forward to. Last week was one such occasion. We got to host our dear friends after a long wait. It was decided that they would have breakfast with us as they were landing in the morning. The only condition my friend put forward was to prepare something sweet as well. Just when I was racking my brains about what to prepare, I spotted a loaf of bread. Bread Halwa !!!! That was the first thing that came to my mind. So I decided to prepare it.
I was elated to see my friend really enjoying and helping herself with a second serving of the Halwa.
- 8 Bread slices
- 3/4 cup Sugar - (or less)
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup Butter Clarified - (or more)
- 10 Cashewnuts
- 10 almonds
- 6 Cashewnuts
- 6 almonds
- Grind the cashewnuts and almonds to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Cut the bread slices into cubes and keep aside.
- Boil the milk and sugar together. Keep aside.
- Heat clarified butter in a pan.
- Tip in the cashew nuts and almonds meant for garnish.
- Fry till golden brown.
- Remove them and place on an absorbant paper.
- Keep aside.
- In the remaining ghee, tip in the bread cubes. You may add more ghee if required.
- Fry the bread on low heat, tossing occasionally, till it turns brown in colour.
- Add the boiled milk and mix well.
- Make sure the bread cubes are mashed and well incorporated.
- Add the powdered cashew- almond mixture and mix well.
- The texture of the Halwa will be a bit mushy.
- Continue cooking on low heat, stirring constantly, till you get a smooth glossy texture.
- Add the fried nuts.
- Serve warm.
- This Halwa can be refrigerated and heated before serving.