Buttercream Frosting/ Icing is a type of icing or filling, used inside cakes, as a coating, and as decoration. In its simplest form, it is made by creaming butter with powdered sugar, although other fats can be used, such as margarine or lard. Colorings and flavorings are often added, such as chocolate, fruit purees or various extract. Buttercream is a common and popular topping for cupcakes, sponge cakes, butter cakes and other desserts. (Courtesy: Wikipedia)
I wanted to give a different look to the Icing instead of usual single colour. I brushed the inside of Using different colours and a thin paint brush, I made stripes inside the piping bag. Tipped in the Icing and Voila!!!
Source: Joy of Baking
- 2 cups sugar Icing or powdered
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Milk cream or light
- Cream the butter and sugar till smooth and well blended..
- Add vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually beat in sugar.
- Add milk and beat on high speed till light and fluffy.
- Add a little more milk, if needed.
- Use colours as per your choice.
- For Rainbow icing, take the piping bag, your choice of colours and a thin paint brush.
- Carefully dip the brush in a colour and draw a line inside the piping bag, starting from the tip.
- Wash the brush and dip in another colour.
- Leaving a small gap, draw another line.
- Continue till you are finished with the colours.
- Carefully put the icing inside the bag.
- Squeeze out a bit to check if it forms the stripes.
- Start decorating your cake!!! :-).