The other day I was going through my food pictures and realised there were quite a few recipes in the pending list. One of them was Cabbage Theeyal, a recipe I found in Ammachiyude Adukkala. Theeyal is popular South Indian side dish comprising of roasted and ground coconut along with spices, cooked with vegetables and tamarind extract. Though I was familiar with Prawn theeyal, Ullitheeyal etc, Cabbage Theeyal was something new to me. Here’s the recipe.
Source: Lakshmi Devi Ramesh
- 1 cup cabbage Chopped
- 1 onion Chopped
- 4 Green chillies
- 1 - 1/2 tablespoons Tamarind paste - (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 cup coconut Grated
- 1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric a powder - + pinch
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons Coriander powder
- to taste Salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon shallots sliced
- Roast the grated coconut in a pan till golden brown.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and roast till it turns reddish brown in colour.
- Switch off heat and let cool.
- Grind to a fine paste with a little water. Keep aside.
- Dilute the tamarind paste in some water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute the onion, green chillies and cabbage.
- When the cabbage starts to wilt, add a pinch of turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder and mix well.
- Cook further on low heat till the cabbage is done.
- Add the ground paste and salt and mix well.
- Add the tamarind water and bring to a boil.
- Switch off heat.
- For tempering, heat oil in a pan.
- Put the mustard seeds, when they start to splutter, add the curry leaves and shallots and saute till the shallots turns slightly brown.
- Take off the heat and pour this over the curry.
- Serve the hot Theeyal with Rice.