Cake pops are such cute little treats to look at!! They come in various colours and designs. While making the cupcakes for the blog anniversary, I had made up my mind to make some cake pops as well and so had kept aside some cake and buttercream frosting. Making cake pops are pretty easy but the trouble starts when you start with the chocolate coating. I knew that that this could be a messy affair and so had kept my work station organised. Moreover I had two little helping hands of my son D. Just didn’t realise how time went by. D was giving his suggestions and I enjoyed the whole process more than ever
I couldn’t click snaps of the entire procedure. So those who want a visual demo can check this video on How to Make Cake Pops. As it was an experiment, I didn’t want to take a chance and so made with very less quantity(18 cake pops), which I am sharing with you. If you are confident to make in bulk, follow the recipe found in the link given above
- 1 cup Cake crumbs (I used coconut cake)
- 1 cup Dark chocolate chopped
- as required Sugar Sprinkles/ Sugar confetti
- Place the cake crumbs in a bowl .
- Make sure they are fine crumbs with a loose texture.
- Add the frosting and mix well with your hands or mixer.
- Make sure you get a doughy consistency that you can roll without being too sticky.
- Let rest in the refrigerator for sometime.
- Grease your palms a bit.
- Roll small even shaped balls and place on a cookie sheet or parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes or till firm.
- Melt the chocolates using a double boiler till liquidy.
- Take out the balls.
- Dip the tip of each stick in the melted chocolate and insert into the cake ball.
- Place them on the parchment paper with the stick standing up.
- Once all the sticks are used up, place them in the refrigerator for another 10 minutes or till hardened.
- Take them out
- Keep the bowl of melted chocolates, sprinkles, styrofoam and pops close to each other in such a way that you don't have to run around much.
- This helps in creating less mess as well.
- Take each pop and carefully dip into the melted chocolate, swirling along the way to ensure even chocolate coating.
- Tap on the edge on the bowl slowly and carefully to shake off the excess chocolate.
- Immediately roll them in a bowl of sprinkles and coat evenly.
- Plant the sticks in an upright position on a styrofoam or any material that helps them hold up straight.
- Let cool. It's ready to be popped into your mouth :-).