Indian Chinese cuisine is the adaptation of Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques to Indian tastes. It is said to have been developed by the small Chinese community that has lived in Kolkata for over a century. (Courtesy: Wikipedia)
A month back, my classmate had requested for Cauliflower Manchurian recipe. As I was busy with my blog, I couldn’t send it. Yesterday I got another reminder and I thought, I better get my act together or this guy is going to fly down all the way from US and strangle me.. 🙂 Jokes apart..It feels nice when someone asks you for a recipe.. even if you aren’t the author 🙂 The recipe I am presenting before you today belongs to none other than the celebrated Indian Chef, Sanjeev Kapoor. Moving on to the recipe..
Cauliflower Manchurian- Take 1
Source: Sanjeev Kapoor
- 500 grams Cauliflower , separated into florets
- 8 tablespoons Cornflour corn starch /
- 3 - 4 Green chillies , minced
- 2 Spring onion bulb , chopped
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1 Green capsicum , chopped , medium
- 1 Onion , chopped , medium
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Ajinomoto MSG aka
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- Wash and drain cauliflower florets.
- Make a batter of six tablespoons of cornstarch, green chillies and spring onions adding salt to taste.
- Dissolve the remaining two tablespoons of cornstarch in quarter cup of water and keep aside for sauce.
- Heat sufficient oil in a wok.
- Dip each cauliflower floret in the prepared batter and deep fry till golden brown.
- Remove and drain onto an absorbent paper.
- To make the sauce, heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan and gently fry the garlic paste and the ginger paste.
- Add the chopped capsicum and onion.
- Stir in the soya sauce and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for two minutes.
- Add the vinegar, MSG, sugar and adjust salt to taste.
- Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and cook stirring continuously till the mixture thickens and starts bubbling.
- Add the fried cauliflower florets.
- Mix well to coat and cook for two minutes more.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve with fried rice of your choice.