Chettinad cuisine is the cuisine of the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu state in South India. Chettinad cuisine is famous for its use of a variety of spices used in preparing mainly non-vegetarian food. The dishes are hot and pungent with fresh ground masalas.(Courtesy: Wikipedia)
Chettinad chicken is a spicy chicken curry that goes well with Rice, Rotis, Idiyappams (string hoppers) etc. This recipe was written down in my diary. Unfortunately I was not in the habit of writing of writing the source. Well..back then who thought that I would require the source to be mentioned in the blog ??? Onto the recipe..
- 500 gms Chicken
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 lime Juice of
- 2 - 3 sprigs Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
To be dry roasted and ground
- 3/4 cup Coconut Grated
- 3 - 4 chillies Dried red
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 3 cardamom Green
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Star anise
- Marinate the chicken in lime juice, turmeric powder and salt and let rest for at least half an hour..
- Dry roast and grind the ingredients mentioned above to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds followed by curry leaves and chopped onion and saute till it turns brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes.
- Add the chilli powder followed by ground coconut paste and saute for a while.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the oil separates.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Check for seasoning.
- Add about a cup of water and stir well.
- Cover and cook till the chicken is done.