Till we came to Chennai, my lunch preparations never started before 11 am, as both J and D used to be home for lunch. The whole scenario changed after coming here. My mornings start with a mad rush of preparing breakfast and lunch to be packed. Doing the chopping and grinding the previous evening saves me a lot of time. The only thing is that I have to make up my mind as to what dishes to prepare, a day prior 🙂 As usual, I wanted to prepare something different, yet easy. A bit of browsing helped me decide the dish of the day. Chicken Cafreal….a traditional Goan dish, which is not only tasty but also easy to prepare. The dish can be used as a starter as well as a side dish.
Whenever I want to prepare Goan style dishes, my to-go place is Goan Food Recipes. Whatever recipe I have prepared referring to this site has been a winner. Here comes the recipe 🙂
- 1 kg Chicken
To be ground to a paste
- 7 - 8 green chillies
- 3/4 cup Coriander leaves Chopped
- 2 Inchs Ginger
- 13 - 14 cloves Garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Poppy seeds (Khuskhus)
- 7 Peppercorns
- 5 - 6 Cloves
- 1 Inch Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Tamarind paste
- to taste Salt
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Grind all the ingredients into a fine paste.
- Marinate the chicken with the ground paste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- When hot, add the chicken and toss.
- Cover and cook on low flame.
- Add a dollop of butter and mix well.
- Cook till the chicken is done.
- You may add a little more butter before taking off the heat.
- Serve hot.