Usually while making run of the mill dishes at home, I don’t follow any particular recipe as such. I just add the ingredients according to what comes to my mind at that moment. By the end of the day I would have completely forgotten how I made the dish. The trouble starts when a few days later, the boys’ request goes like this “Can you make that dish which you prepared on that day??” and I go completely blank. But now, thanks to my blog, I note down each and every step and hence don’t have to give that blank look again. :-).
So the recipe I am presenting today is a run of the mill chicken curry, which goes well with rice. With Cabbage Thoran and fresh curd to accompany the chicken, we all ended up over-eating. ;-).
- 1 kg Chicken
- 4 Onions chopped
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger chopped
- 7 cloves Garlic - 8
- 2 cardamom Black
- 3 cardamom Green
- 1 Bay leaf
- 7 Clove
- 1 tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- as required Salt
- Heat oil in a pan.Put the cardamoms, cloves and bay leaf.When they start to swell up, add the chopped onions.
- Saute till they are brown in colour.Add the ginger and garlic, followed by coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Saute for 2 minutes.Add the chopped tomatoes and stir till the oil separates.Switch off the heat.
- Once cool, grind the mixture into a fine paste.You can remove the black cardamoms and bay leaf if you want.
- Apply this mixture on the chicken pieces very well.Add salt as well.Add a cup of water.
- Cover and cook till the chicken is done.If you need more gravy, add more water and bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle the garam masala powder and stir well.Switch off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.