Today, this blog completes one year. How time flies!!! My mind was preoccupied with the thoughts of my Dad’s surgery that I completely lost track of it. A reminder from wordpress put me back on track…Being the first anniversary, I had to make something special. The first thought was to make Pina Colada cake, which I had baked some time back. A relook at the recipe and I decided to change to Coconut Cupcakes with Pineapple Buttercream Frosting. The reason for this decision was the non availability of pineapple in my pantry. Running to the grocery store was the last thing on my mind…:-) So much for laziness…:-P
This time, I wanted to take the adventerous route and make some floral designs using the buttercream. All the experience I had was watching videos to learn the techniques. To my delight the first attempt itself turned out to be a success. By the time I was done with the icing, D was back from school. He couldn’t even wait for his lunch that he gobbled up a decorated cupcake and insisted on having more. It took some cajoling to make him have his lunch..but deep within, I was smiling…What more compliment do I need???
I got the recipe from A Bountiful Kitchen. You can find the recipe of Buttercream frosting here. All you have to do is change the colour and flavour to suit your liking
Source: A Bountiful Kitchen
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt - (I omitted this as I used salted butter)
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 - 1/4 cups Coconut milk - (medium thick)
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons Coconut extract - (I used pineapple essence)
- 5 Egg whites
- Sieve the flour along with baking powder and salt(if using) .
- Keep aside
- Beat butter in a bowl for a minute on medium speed.
- Add the sugar and beat for another minute.
- add the coconut milk and essence and mix well.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and beat for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites till stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold the egg whites into the flour mixture until well incorporated.
- Pour inot the cupcake moulds.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180C for 15- 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting.