The dilemma I face when it comes to cooking food, is to strike a balance between the liking of my boys. While J is fond of Indian food, preferably authentic Kerala cuisine, D is a stark contrast. So the deal I struck between them is to cook the food of their choice on alternate days 🙂
Lately as J has to do a lot of travelling, I try my experiments with other cuisine while he’s away. My latest experiment was making Risotto. Risotto is an Italian dish in which rice is cooked in stock to a creamy consistency. After going through a lot of recipes, I decided to make it my way.
Arborio rice is typically used to prepare this dish. However, as it was not available easily, I chose to use Idli rice/Ponni rice, as it is very similar in its texture. Keeping D’s palate in mind, I added a generous dose of green chillies.
- 1 cup Arborio Rice/Idli rice/Ponni rice
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 - 1/2 tablespoons green chillies (or less) Finely chopped
- 4 - 5 cups Chicken Stock / Fish Stock / Vegetable Stock Hot
- 250 gms Crab meat
- to taste Salt
- 1 tablespoon Spring onion Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese Grated
- Lime juice As required (Optional)
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add the chopped onion and saute for a minute.
- Tip in the green chillies and garlic.
- Saute till the raw smell goes.
- Add the rice and fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of hot stock and stir the rice mixture on medium heat.
- As the liquid is absorbed, pour bit more of the stock and keep stirring.
- Continue the process till the rice is almost cooked, but has a bite to it.
- Add the crab met and mix well.
- The consistency of the dish should be creamy and moist.
- Squeeze the lime juice and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion and parmesan cheese and serve immediately.