Doughnut is a snack much loved by kids and adults alike. There are mainly two variations to preparing this. One being the yeast based doughnut and the other known as cake doughnut. I prefer the latter as it is less time consuming than the yeast based doughnut. I got the recipe from All recipes.
This is one of D’s favourite snack. Sometimes it’s so cute to hear him complain that I haven’t made them in a while. Let me clarify..the “while” here means a month at the most.. 🙂 Moving on to the recipe.
- 2 - 3/4 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar (powder it after measuring for easy mixing)
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (If using salted butter, omit this)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg Ground
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 egg Beaten
- 1/4 cup butter Melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- Sift the flour along with baking powder, sugar,salt, ground cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl..
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk, egg, butter and vanilla into the well and mix till all ingredients come together.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Take out the dough from the refrigerator and turn out into a generously floured surface.
- Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough.The dough maybe a little sticky, do not worry, dust with more flour.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into 1/2" thickness.
- Cut into desired shape using a doughnut cutter.
- If you don't have a doughut cutter, you can use sharp edged bottle caps.
- Use the bigger cap first and then cut out a hole in the centre using a smaller cap.
- You can either add the centre portion back into the dough or fry them up.
- Fry the doughnut in hot oil till they turn golden brown.
- Dust with caster sugar or you can decorate with any glaze of your choice.