When D asked me to make Pulled Pork Burgers the first time, I didn’t have ready-made BBQ sauce with me. The next option was to make Barbecue sauce at home. The sauce was used to make the Pulled Pork Burger. My boys loved it so much that I never bothered to buy BBQ sauce after that.
It was after a long time that I made Barbecue sauce at home. The original recipe from allrecipes.com, recommends using brown sugar. I wasn’t particularly satisfied with the quality of brown sugar I bought. My next option- Jaggery. Truth be told, I had butterflies in my stomach when I made it the first time. However, a taste test wiped away all my apprehensions. I have been using jaggery since then.
You may use brown sugar or jaggery powder for the recipe. This sauce lasts upto a month, if stored in refrigerator. You can see the recipe video here.
- 1-1/2 cups Grated jaggery/ Brown sugar
- 1 cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2-1/2 tablespoons Mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Paprika powder
- to taste Salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot pepper sauce
- Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan
- Cook on medium heat till it starts to boil.
- Boil for a minute.
- Switch off heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.