Eggless Burger Buns
A couple of days back, I was all set to prepare Doughnuts as an evening snack. However, I had decided to make it in the traditional way, i.e, from yeast based dough. While the dough was undergoing proofing, it dawned on me that I had to prepare Dinner as well. After checking my pantry, I decided to change the track altogether. It was going to be a burger night. After checking the sweetness of the dough, I decided to convert them to Burger buns. After all, the recipe and the process, were pretty much similar to that of bread. With the buns out of the oven, all I had to do was to team it up with some Homemade Mayonnaise, Chicken cutlets, cheese and veggies and Voila !! Dinner ready !!!! 🙂
The recipe I followed for the Burgers buns is of Lara Ferroni’s Doughnuts, which is given below. I had halfed the recipe, which yielded 7 burger buns. The size of the buns were somewhere between small and medium size
Eggless Burger Buns
- 1 cup Cake flour - *
- 1 - 1/2 to 2 - 1/2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Yeast
- 1 cup Milk Warm
- 1/4 cup Superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 100 gms Butter - (Cold butter cut into 1" cubes)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Milk - (for brushing)
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds White
- Put the sugar, warm milk and yeast in a bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. Once it becomes frothy and rises, add salt and vanilla and give a stir. In a bowl, mix the cake flour and 1 cup flour with the milk mixture, till the dough is thick and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Now add the butter pieces one at a time and knead till the butter is well incorporated into the dough. Keep adding a little bit of flour while kneading, till you get a soft, pliable, elastic dough, which is no longer sticky. Form the dough into a ball.
- Lightly grease a bowl with oil and roll the ball of dough in it till all sides are lightly coated with oil. Cover and keep in a warm place till it is doubled in size.
- Punch the dough back and take a small portion. Roll it into a ball and place on the baking tray. Place the rolled balls at least 2 inches apart. Cover with a cling film and keep aside till it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Using a brush, lightly brush the milk on the surface of all the buns. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
- Bake the buns in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or till the crust of buns become golden brown.
- Layer them up with the ingredients of your choice and your Burger is ready :).