Falooda is a chilled dessert that consists of layers of vermicelli, soaked basil seeds, jelly, rose syrup and ice cream. One can even add a layer of fruits if needed. This dessert is yet another favourite of ours, especially during summers. I got this recipe from my Mother-in-law. This recipe should be sufficient for 4 servings.
Source: My MIL
- 3 tablespoons Basil seeds / Takmaria / Black Khuskhus / Sabza
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Vermicelli Roasted
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Water
- pinch Salt a
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- Sugar - (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
- 2 drops Rose essence
- Takmaria layer -Wash and soak the basil seeds in water. Refrigerate.
- Vermicelli layer -Put the roasted vermicelli, milk and water in a pan and add salt and sugar. Let boil for a minute or 2. Switch off.Let cool. The vermicellli will soak up the liquid on its own. Once cool, refigerate.
- Jelly -Prepare as directed in the pack. Once set, crumble the jelly lightly using a fork or spoon.
- Rose syrup -Take the sugar and water in a pan and let boil for a few minutes.We are looking for a thin syrupy consistency. Add the essence and colour. Mix well and let cool. Refrigerate.
- Serving -Take tall glasses for serving.Pour a bit (1/2u2033 height) of the rose syrup into the glass. Now spoon in 2-3 tablespoons of cooked and chilled vermicelli. Spoon in the chilled basil seeds followed by jelly. Top with one or 2 scoops of ice cream. Garnish and serve. While consuming, mix all the layers with the spoon and enjoy every bit of it.. :-).