Gujiya/Karjikkai Recipe by Mareena Jerrish
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Water as reqd
For the filling
- 1/2 cup coconut Grated fresh
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cashewnuts Chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom Powdered
- Knead the flour with ghee and water into a soft dough. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside.
- Heat a pan. Add the fresh coconut and cook on low heat till it loses its moisture and turns a shade dark. Add the chopped cashewnuts and sugar. You may adjust the quantity of sugar to suit your liking. Stir for a minute and add powdered cardamom. Stir well. Switch off heat and allow to cool.
- Take a small ball off the dough and roll it out into approximately 3" diameter circle.
- Place a spoonful of the coconut mixture into the centre.
- Bring together the ends and seal the edges well.
- You can make designs along the edges by pressing with a fork.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil becomes hot, slowly drop a few gujiyas into the oil. Fry till both sides turn golden brown in colour. Drain onto absorbent paper. Serve.