I was so engrossed with some work that I lost track of time. At one point, when I looked up at the clock I realised that it was almost lunch time and I haven’t made anything. After a quick look at my pantry, I decided on making Hakka Noodles. Hakka noodles is a simple stir fried noodles. It is more of an Indo-Chinese recipe. Indian Chinese cuisine is the adaptation of Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques to Indian tastes. It is said to have been developed by the small Chinese community that has lived in Kolkata for over a century (Courtesy: Wikipedia)
I have used chicken in this recipe. However, vegetarians can omit that and prepare the vegetarian version.
- 200 gms Egg Noodles
- 1 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste paste
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper powder powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ajinomoto MSG / (Optional)
- to taste Salt
- 2 Spring onion sliced stalks
- 1 Carrots big thinly sliced
- 1 Capsicum small thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Beans thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Chicken thinly sliced (Marinate with 1 teaspoon Soy sauce and keep aside)
- 2 Eggs (Whisk along with a pinch of salt and pepper powder and keep aside)
- Take 2 litres of water in a vessel and boil along with a teaspoon of salt and a spoonful of oil.
- When the water boils, add the noodles and let it cook till "al dente"(3/4th cooked).
- After draining, pour some cold water on it so as to remove the starch.Drain and keep aside.
- Heat a wok.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and when the oil is hot, add the beaten eggs.
- Keep stirring to get scrambled eggs.
- Remove from the wok and keep aside.
- In the same wok, add another tablespoon oil and saute the chicken on high heat for a few minutes till cooked.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add 2 teaspoons of oil and saute the ginger-garlic paste for a few seconds.
- Add the spring onions and saute further.
- Add the vegetables in the order of their cooking time.
- Sprinkle the pepper powder and MSG.
- When the vegetables wilt, add soy sauce, salt, and mix well.
- Now put in the drained noodles and stir well.
- Finally add the eggs and the chicken and mix well.
- Check for seasoning and adjust according to taste.