Poha is one of the easiest breakfast dishes I have come across. Poha is basically beaten rice but the dish we are talking about consists of a few more ingredients apart from the beaten rice. The beauty of this dish is that not only is it easy to make but also tastes yum.
One can find thin and thick versions of Poha. The one required for this recipe are the thicker ones. The thin Poha will turn mushy when soaked in water. Here’s the recipe.
- 2 cups Poha Aval rice / / Beaten
- 1 onion Chopped
- 1 potato Diced
- 1 - 2 green chilli Finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- a few Curry leaves
- 1/2 cup Peanuts
- to taste Salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves Chopped
- Soak the poha in water for a few minutes.Squeeze the water out of the poha and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add the mustard seeds.
- When they start to splutter, add the asafoetida, followed by curry leaves and chopped onion and green chili.
- When the onions turn soft, add the peanuts and stir for a while.Add the turmeric powder and stir for a fews seconds.
- Add the diced potato and salt and stir well.Cover and cook on low heat till the potatoes are cooked.
- Tip in the poha and stir well.If you want a slight tangy taste, add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.