- Leave a Comment
Though I bake and decorate cakes at home, I have never tried my hands at Fondant Icing. Last Christmas, my cousin who came from Canada, gifted a Gum paste flower cut out set. Every time I looked at the set, I was even more motivated to give a shot at Fondant Icing. April being a month of special occasions in our family, I zeroed in on D’s birthday and prepared fondant at home. On discussing with D, he asked me to prepare a Rich Chocolate Cake covered with Chocolate Ganache. All my hopes almost went down the drain till it dawned on me that my parents’ anniversary was coming up. They were visiting and so was my sister and niece. It has been ages since all of us celebrated the occasion together. I was even more excited. My sister being the more creative amongst us, I asked her to suggest a cake design. She suggested a very simple design, which I absolutely loved.
On the day of decorating the cake, I could feel butterflies in my stomach. The only knowledge I had about decorating a cake with fondant, was acquired from the TV shows. The cake layers were done, and the cake was coated with butter cream frosting. I rolled out the fondant for covering the cake. Now was the testing time. I managed to lift the fondant and place on the cake and cover it without a slight tear. Phew !! I was so elated. The icing on the cake was to see the surprised look on my sister’s face when I told that this was my first attempt. After almost 3 hours, the cake was done. We were eagerly waiting for the next morning to see our parents’ reaction. They loved the design as well as the cake.
I had saved the recipe by Sarah Alexander, from a foodie group long time back.
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)