Khaman Dhokla is one of the most famous Gujarati snack.Traditonally, Dhokla is made by soaking rice and lentils and grinding into a batter which is then fermented overnight and steamed. The Khaman dhokla is made using Bengal gram (Chana dal) whereas the Khatta Dhokla is made using Black gram (Urad dal).
- 1 - 1/2 cups Besan /Gram flour /Chickpea flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Green chilli paste
- 3/4 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1 - 1/2 cups Curd
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons Eno salt fruit
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- to taste Salt
For Tempering / Tadka
- 2 Green Chillies (each cut into 2-3 pieces diagonally)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves Finely Chopped
To be mixed
- 1/4 cup Water - (to be adjusted if required)
- lime juice (extraced from half a lime)
- pinch Salt a
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons Sugar
- In a bowl, mix besan, chilli paste, ginger paste, salt, turmeric powder well.
- Add curd and then add eno and mix well. Keep aside for a couple of minutes.
- Pour into a greased pan and steam till cooked. You can also cook in the microwave on high power for about 4-5 minutes. (This is a tip I got from my dear friend Anu...Thanks Anu 🙂 ).
- Check by inserting a toothpick at the centre. If it comes clean, it is cooked. Cut into squares.
- For garnish:.
- Heat the oil. Add mustard seeds. When it starts to splutter add the curry leaves and green chillies.
- Add the water mix and let it heat up. Switch off when it's just short of boiling.
- Add the coriander leaves. Pour this on top of the squares. Leave it for sometime till the water is absorbed.
- Garnish with grated coconut(optional).