Karimeen Pollichathu – Easy Method
A couple of days back while chatting with my cousin Rini, our conversation veered towards food. That’s when she asked if I knew the recipe of Karimeen Pollichathu that our grandmom used to make. To my relief, she said that had it and would share with me.
Today I bought some Pearlspot fish and just as I was thinking about our granny’s recipe, my cousin sent a message. Wow !! It was the recipe… The timing couldn’t be more perfect. The best part was that it was easy to prepare. The result ?? YUMMMMM !!!
Karimeen Pollichathu - Easy Method
- 1 (medium sized) Pearl spot fish
- 15 shallots
- 1"piece Ginger
- 7 Garlic cloves cloves
- 4 (or less) Green chilli
- 1 Tomato
- 2 teaspoons (or less) Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder powder
- 1 tablespoon Water
- a few Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- Clean and score the fish on either sides.
- Finely chop the shallots, ginger, garlic green chilli and tomato.
- Put all this in a bowl.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, oil and water.
- Mix well with your hands, squishing the mixture in between.
- Take a pan or earthen pot.
- Place half of the mixture on the pan/pot and spread the mixture to form a thin bed.
- Place the fish on top of the mixture.
- Now place the remaining mixture and cover the entire fish.
- Cover the fish and cook on low heat till you get the cooked smell of the fish.
- Flip and cook the other side.
- Once that side is also cooked, remove the lid and cook on medium heat till liquid evaporates.
- Serve hot with rice.