One can find a lot of variations to pickle recipes. The recipe I am sharing here is that of Lemon Pickle, that I usually make at home. I learnt it from my mother. Here's the recipe. Make sure you use ripe yellow lemons. The green ones will be raw and may have a bitterness to it.
- 10 or 500 gms Lemon Ripe
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup Sesame oil
- 4 - 5 Green chillies whole
- 1/4 cup Chilli powder ( I used Kashmiri chilli powder)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek powder
- pinch Asafoetida a
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- handful Curry leaves a
- 1/4 cup Vinegar + 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- to taste Salt
- Wash and wipe the lemons dry.
- Heat 1/4 cup in a pan. When hot, add the green chillies and stir for a few seconds. Remove the chillies and keep aside. In the same oil, add the lemons and stir. Fry till the lemons swell up and cracks open. You can see that the lemon juice will spurt out. As and when the lemons becomes soft, remove them and place on a plate. Once all the lemons are removed, discard the oil.
- Cut the lemons into quarters or as you wish. Mix the vinegar and water and bring to a boil. Allow to cool.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they start to crackle, add the asafoetida followed by curry leaves.
- Lower the heat and add the turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and chilli powder and stir quickly, making sure it doesnt get burnt. Add the green chillies and lemon wedges and stir well. Add the cooled vinegar- water mixture along with salt and sugar. Mix well. Switch off heat and allow to cool. Transfer to clean and dry containers. This can be stored for longer duration in the fridge.