I have mentioned in my one of my previous posts, that I am a member of Malayalam Facebook group called Ammachiyude Adukkala. What I like about this group is the fact that inspite of being a community of total strangers, there is always a sense of camaraderie and respect for each other, which is a rarity, in such kind of groups. All the credit goes to the wonderful admins, who ensures that. Recently they celebrated their 555th day of inception. As a part of the celebrations, I was asked to send a cookery demo video. Being a joyous occasion, I zeroed in on a sweet, Millionaire’s shortbread- a recipe I chose from a book called Chocolate by Parragon
Though the original video contained instructions in Malayalam, I have edited it so that it can be followed by Non-Malayalam speakers. This is the first time that I have done editing of a video..so kindly excuse the mistakes 🙂 Click here for the video
For the Base
- 175 gms Flour
- 125 gms Butter cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons Brown sugar - (I powdered them for easy mixing)
For the Caramel Layer
- 55 gms Butter
- 4 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 400 gms Condensed milk
For the Chocolate Layer
- 150 gms Chocolate cut into pieces- (dark, white or milk chocolate)
- 9 " tins Cake baking
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Sift flour into a bowl and rub butter into it till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix to form a firm dough. Press the dough into the base of the prepared cake tin. prick all over with a fork.
- Bake the base for 20 minutes or till it turns lightly golden in colour. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, take butter, brown sugar and condensed milk in a saucepan. Cook over gentle heat till the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for another 4-5 minutes, till the caramel thickens and pulls away from the sides. The colour of the caramel would turn a shade darker. Take off the heat and pour on top of the shortbread base. Spread evenly and allow to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler to a smooth consistency. Make sure there are no lumps. Check the caramel layer. If it is cool and set, pour the chocolate over the caramel layer and spread with a spatula. (If the caramel layer is not set completely the chocolate and caramel will get mixed. ) Allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and Voila !!! Millionaire's Shortbread is ready :-).