Moist Honey Cake
This Diwali, as I was slightly under the weather, I hadn’t made any sweets. Now that I was back in action, I decided to bake Moist Honey Cake, which has been in my “to- do list” for a while. Honey Cake is usually made for the Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year). Apart from honey, this recipe calls for orange juice, coffee and even whiskey. Those who are apprehensive of using alcohol may use coffee or orange juice instead. The cake is on the sweeter note. Those who wants less sweet, may cut down on the sugar. I got the recipe from Epicurious. This cake can be made a couple of days ahead and goes really well with Vanilla Ice Cream. This recipe yielded a 9″ round cake and a small loaf. As I didn’t have all spice powder, I used ginger powder, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder in equal quantities to form 1 teaspoon.
Moist Honey Cake
- 3 - 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 teaspoons Cinnamon Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice Ground
- 1 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Honey
- 1 - 1/2 cups Sugar Granulated - (or 1/2 cup less)
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coffee tea Warm or strong
- 1/2 cup Orange juice Fresh
- 1/4 cup Whiskey - (or orange juice or coffee)
- 1/2 cup almonds Slivered or sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- Powder the sugar for easy mixing. Keep aside.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and all spice powders together 3-4 times. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugars, honey, orange juice, oil, coffee, vanilla and whiskey (if using) together till well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and mix till you get a smooth thick batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top of the batter. (If using)
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or till a toothpick when inserted in the centre of the cake, comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before inverting to a wire rack.
- Let cool completely before serving.
- This cake can be stored for a couple of days.