Moussaka is an eggplant or potato-based dish, often including ground meat, in the cuisines of the countries of the former Ottoman Empire, with many local and regional variations. In Turkey, it is sautéed and served in the style of a casserole, and consumed warm or at room temperature. In Arabic countries, a variant is eaten cold. In the Balkans, the dish is layered and typically served hot. Many versions have a top layer made of milk-based sauce thickened with egg (custard) or flour (béchamel sauce). (Source: Wikipedia) Couple of weeks back, we had been to my cousin Minu’s place for Dinner. She had made this wonderful Moussaka, which bowled us over. Even though I have had Moussaka at restaurants, this was the first time I had homemade version. How could I not ask for the recipe of the dish? She sent me the recipe the very next day. The next thing for me to do was to make sure I had all the ingredients in place. Though I am not much of a brinjal lover, I would say the best part of the dish is the brinjal. It was fun to watch my family deciding on who gets the lion’s share of the bottom layer 🙂 I used Beef in this dish. You could use lamb or chicken. The beef I had were cubes and it was difficult to mince it. What I did, was to pressure cook the meat with all the ingredients, cool and then grind it. If using minced meat, the texture will be better.
- 300 gms Long green brinjal
- to taste Salt pepper
For the Meat Mixture
- 500 gms Minced Beef / Chicken / Lamb
- 3 Onion big
- 6 Garlic cloves (Crushed)
- 1 - 1/2 cups Tomato puree
- 1 - 2 teaspoons chilly powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper powder
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese Grated
- 1/2 cup Bread crumbs
For the White sauce
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 500 ml Milk
- 1 Egg Beaten
- to taste Salt pepper and
- Cut the brinjal into thin round slices and marinate it with salt and pepper.
- Keep it for 15 to 30 mins.
- Shallow fry till it turns brown on both sides.
- Keep aside.
- For the Meat Mixture
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add crushed garlic and saute it till it turns light brown.
- Add onions till it turns light brown.
- Add chilly pdr, minced meat and fry till water is evaporated and the meat separates out and turns loose.
- It will be dark brown in colour at that point.
- Now add pepper powder and tomato puree.
- Cook and dry it out completely, else the pie will turn soggy. For the White sauce
- Heat a pan.
- Add the butter.
- When it starts to melt, add the flour.
- Stir well till it changes colour a bit.
- Carefully add milk, a little at a time, stirring continuously.
- Make sure no lumps are formed.
- When it starts to boil, it will thicken.
- Add salt and pepper powder and stir well.
- Switch off heat.
- Carefully beat in the egg into the sauce. For the Cheese layer
- Mix the grated cheese and breadcrumbs and keep aside. Assembling the Dish
- Preheat the oven at 160C.
- Grease the pie dish.
- Arrange the fried brinjal slices onto the base of your pie dish.
- Spread the meat mixture evenly on top of it.
- Pour the white sauce and spread evenly.
- Finally add the cheese- bread mixture.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or till the top layer turns golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with salad and Bread.