One thing that excited me the most about coming to Hyderabad, was the fact that my best friend from college stays here. The thought of getting together more often was always a welcome thought. During one of those get togethers at her place, she had made this amazing mutton curry. We all loved it so much and J promptly asked me to learn how to make it. It was after a long time that we bought mutton at home. The first thing I did was to call her and find out the exact measurements and try out her recipe. Needless to say, it was a winner.
You can prepare chicken also following this recipe.
Source: My friend
- 500 gms Mutton
- 2 Onion Chopped
- handful Shallots (appx 12-14) (you can use 1 big onion instead) sliced - a
- 1 Chopped ginger " - piece
- 10 cloves Chopped garlic
- 2 - 3 green chilli Chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon Peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Coriander seeds
- 1 tomato Chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves Chopped
- 3 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1 red chilli Dried
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- to taste Salt
- 1 - 2 potato Cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 red chilli Dried
- 7 - 8 shallots (you can use 1 small onion instead) Sliced
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry leaves and red chilli and saute till you get a good aroma.
- Add the onion, shallots, ginger, garlic, green chilli, coriander leaves and turmeric powder and saute till the onions turn light brown in colour.
- Add the tomato and saute till becomes soft and onions turn a shade darker.
- Switch off heat and let cool. Once cooled, grind to a smooth, fine paste.
- Add it to the mutton pieces along with salt. Cook till the mutton is done.
- In another pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds when they start to splutter, add the onions, curry leaves and red chilli.
- Saute till the onions turn brown in colour. Add the cubed potatoes and saute for a minute.
- Pour this into the mutton and stir well. Cook till the potatoes are done.
- If you want gravy, you may add a little water. Serve hot with rice or roti.