Osmania Biscuits is one of the most popular snack item of Hyderabad. The story behind this biscuit goes like this: The dietitians of the Osmania General Hospital, came up with this high energy solution to supplement the diet of patients. The unique taste of the biscuits appealed to the Hyderabadi palate and within no time attendants and visitors were caught gobbling it down with relish much to the chagrin of the patients and doctors. Little wonder that soon biscuits pilfered from the hospital pantry were being sold at cafes in the vicinity of Osmania General and with increasing popularity city bakers geared up to meet the demand. Ever since, successfully dunking an Osmania Biscuit in a cup of Irani chai has been the ultimate test of provenance for all who claim to be Hyderabadis.(Source: Times of India)
I have tasted the Osmanis biscuits from the famous Subhan Bakery. Trust me, no one can stop at just one biscuit. I got the recipe from vahrehvah.
Note: You can find another version of Osmania Biscuits here.
- 120 gms Butter
- 80 gms Sugar powder
- 20 ml Milk
- 1 pinch Salt
- 200 gms All purpose flour
- 10 gms Custard powder
- 10 gms Milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking powder
For the Milk Wash
- xbd gms Saffron
- 1/4 cup Milk Warm
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mix the warm milk and saffron and keep aside.
- Sieve together all purpose flour, salt, custard powder, milk powder, cardamom powder, baking powder and keep aside.
- Beat butter and sugar till creamy. Add milk and mix well.
- Add the flour mix and mix well to form a soft dough. Cover with a clingwrap and place in the refrigerator for the dough to firm up.
- Roll the dough into a thin sheet and cut them into round shape and arrange the biscuits in the tray, and pour the saffron mixture on top of this and bake them for 15 minutes.