Pav Bhaji is a much famous fast food item of Mumbai, known as the Financial capital of India. In Marathi language, Pav means Bread and Bhaji means vegetable dish. One can find a lot of variations to the Bhaji like Cheese Pav bhaji, Paneer pav bhaji etc. The recipe I am sharing is that of the basic Pav Bhaji. For homemade Ladi Pav recipe, click here.
- 2 Potatoes cubed
- 1 Carrot cubed
- 1 cup Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup Green peas
- 2 Finely chopped onion
- 3 - 4 Finely chopped tomato
- 1 Finely chopped capsicum
- 3 - 4 Dry red chillies (soaked in warm water)
- 6- 7 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 - 1/2 tablespoons Pav Bhaji Masala
- to taste Salt
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Grind the soaked dry chillies with garlic to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Put the cubed potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and green peas together in a pan.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and just enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Cover and cook till vegetables are well cooked. It is okay if they turn mushy. Keep aside.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add the onion and capsicum and stir till the capsicum becomes soft.
- Add the ground chilli- garlic paste and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till fat separates.
- Tip in the cooked vegetables and mix well.
- Mash them well till they are well blended.
- Add the Pav Bhaji masala and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add water, if required. Switch off heat.
- Garnish with chopped onion, coriander leaves and a small blob of butter.
- How to Serve
- Cut the pav buns horizontally. Heat butter in a pan. Place the pav bun, cut side down, till they turn crisp and brown. Serve with the garnished bhaji and a lemon wedge.