Pesaha Paal is a ‘must have’ accompaniment for Pesaha appam in traditional Kerala Christian household, on Maundy Thursday. One of the key ingredients of this recipe is coconut milk. If using fresh coconut, you should extract the milk of 1 big coconut. If using readymade coconut milk, use 2 cups of coconut milk with 1 cup water.
- 1 cup Jaggery Grated
- 3/4 cup Water
- 3 cups Coconut milk
- a pinch Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup Rice flour
- Take the grated jaggery and water in a pan.
- Cook the mixture till the jaggery is completely melted.
- Remove from heat and strain the mixture.
- Take the coconut milk in another pan.
- Add the jaggery mixture into it and mix well.
- Take rice flour in a bowl.
- Pour the jaggery-coconut milk mixture into the rice flour, a little at a time, to form a smooth runny paste.
- Make sure there are no lumps.
- Pour this paste into the coconut milk mixture.
- Mix well.
- Cook on low heat, stirring continuously, till the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
- Add salt and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve with Pesaha Appam.