While preparing for our move from Agra, I had almost wound up the kitchen and had very limited stuff in the pantry. So when I had to whip up something for breakfast, the first thought that came into mind was Potato Rosti. Rosti is a dish supposedly originated from Switzerland. It is pretty much similar to hash browns and very easy to make.
- 3 Potatoes
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper powder or more if required
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Mix the salt and pepper powder and let rest for a few minutes.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Transfer to another bowl.
- Heat a pan and pour the oil and butter ,(I used a non stick pan and hence used very little butter) the intention is to shallow fry the rosti,.
- To check if the oil/butter is hot, drop a little of the potato mixture into it, if it sizzles, it is good to go.
- Take a handful of the potato mixture and drop into the oil and flatten evenly and thinly, try shaping with a spatula. .
- Try shaping with a spatula. When the bottom turns golden brown and crisp, flip the rosti and cook till golden brown.
- iIf you feel that more oil/butter is requred drizzle along the sides. When both sides are done remove from pan and serve hot.
- You can also make rosti using the entire mixture at one go.