The other day while I was scanning through a lifestyle magazine I came across the name Prawn Baffad. The name itself sounds from outer space. A quick search and my thoughts were transferred to this coastal Indian city of Goa. You guessed it right!!! Its a Goan dish. Goa is famous,amongother things, for its beaches and seafood. I am sure this dish will make you too a fan of Goan seafood.
Source: My Diary
- 500 gms Prawns
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons Chilli powder ( adjust to suit your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder powder
- 2 cups onions Chopped
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 1 - 2 tbsps Tamarind paste (adjust according to taste)
- to taste Salt
- Marinate prawns in salt and turmeric and keep aside. Grind the cumin seeds, pepper corns, ginger, garlic and vinegar to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions till golden brown.
- Add chilli powder, the ground paste and cook on low flame.
- When the oil starts to separate, add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the prawns and mix well.
- Check for seasoning and if needed, add more salt.
- Add the tamarind paste diluted in 1/2 cup water into the prawn mixture. Cook till the prawns are done. Serve with rice or Roti.