Prawn Balchao is a traditional Goan spicy prawn pickle . This dish can be stored in a refrigerator for a long time.
Source: Goan Food Recipes
Prawn Balchao is a traditional Goan spicy prawn pickle . This dish can be stored in a refrigerator for a long time. Prawn Balchao Source: Goan Food Recipes
- 500 gms Prawns
- 4 onions Finely chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger Grated
- 6 cloves chopped garlic Finely
- 2 Green chilli (Optional)
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
To be Ground to a fine paste
- 24 chillies Dried red (preferably Kashmiri)
- 1 inch Ginger
- 6 cloves Garlic cloves
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder powder
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind paste
- 3/4 cup Vinegar
- Mix the prawns with salt and keep aside for 10 minutes. Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute the prawns till they turn pink/orange in colour. Switch off heat and allow to cool.
- Chop the prawns into smaller pieces, if they are big.
- Grind the ingredients for paste to a fine, smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the curry leaves. Tip in the ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the onion and saute till nearly brown in colour.
- Add the ground paste and saute till oil separates.
- Add the prawns and mix well.
- Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the green chilli and mix well.
- If you intend to preserve it, make sure that oil is floating on the surface.