Ever since I saw the picture of a rainbow cake, I was toying with the idea of making a Flowery Rainbow Cake. I didnt have all the colours of rainbow .but then I always have the option of calling it Multicoloured Cake.. 🙂 My only concern during the preparation was, how well the pattern will turn out.
I was really thrilled to see that the flowery pattern turned out to be just the way I wanted .Mission successful 🙂
Source: Martha Stewart
- 3 cups Flour
- 4 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter
- 2 - 1/3 cups Sugar
- 5 Egg whites
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1 - 1/2 cups Milk
- orange Red , , yellow , green , blue , and purple gel food coloring (or of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 200C. Brush 69-inch-round cake pans with oil/butter. Line the bottom of each cake pan with parchment paper; brush again and set aside.
- Sift the flour with salt and baking powder.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Slowly add egg whites and mix until well combined.
- Add vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add flour mixture and milk, in two alternating additions beginning with the flour and ending with the milk. Mix until well combined.
- Divide the batter into six bowls (1 cup each).
- Add a different colour to each bowl and mix well. Assuming you are putting the layers in the order blue, green, yellow, red, orange and purple, take a spoonful of the blue batter and pour into the exact centre of the pan.
- Now take a spoonful of yellow batter and pour into the center of the blue batter. Then the red batter goes into the center of yellow and so on.
- Repeat the same procedure till the whole batter is used up. Always make sure that you pour the batter carefully into the centre and avoid spilling. Even if you spilled a drop, no need to panic...its fine .
- Take a clean toothpick and insert on the inside edge of the pan. Pull the toothpick to the center and then lift up the toothpick. Clean with a tissue. Continue till you get the desired flowery pattern. The appearance of the cake should be like the picture shown below:.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool, cut and serve. :-).