Red Velvet Swiss Roll
Earlier I used to bake cakes so often at home that D grew tired of them and warned me against making them. Couple of days back, I was scanning through my recipes and found the recipe of Red Velvet Swis Roll Cake. Having made the Ricotta Cheese yesterday, I went about making the sponge cake. The Sponge for the roll was out of the oven when D came to the kitchen enquiring what I was cooking. On mentioning cake, his face fell and he left the kitchen to get ready for his classes. By the time he was ready, I was done with the decoration. On seeing it, he went “Wow ! Mom, please give me a piece before I leave for my classes”. As a true blue blogger, I couldn’t cut the roll till I was done with my clicks 😛 So I promptly gave him a cupcake with ricotta cheese icing. I was thrilled when he asked for another helping before running out of the door.. I guess the cake days are back 🙂
I got the recipe of the Red Velvet Swiss Roll from Hershey’s Kitchen. Being a bit apprehensive about using too much colour, I used less. The Ricotta Cheese was made at home following this recipe.
Red Velvet Swiss Roll
For the Sponge
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar (+1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- as required Water
- 2/3 cup All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Powdered sugar
For Ricotta Cheese Filling
- 200 gms Ricotta cheese
- 3/4 - 1 cup Powdered sugar (adjust acc to the sweetness you need)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- Sprinkle linen or thin cotton towel with 1/4 cup powdered sugar. .
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Line a swiss roll pan (15"X10"X1") with parchment paper; generously grease parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla in a bowl on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar; continue beating for 2 more minutes.
- Place red food color in liquid measuring cup; add water to make 1/3 cup.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to egg yolk mixture alternately with colored water, beating on low speed just until batter is smooth.
- Gradually fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites until well blended.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto prepared towel.
- Carefully peel off the parchment paper.
- Immediately roll cake and towel together starting from narrow end.
- Place on wire rack to cool completely.
For Ricotta Cheese Filling.
- Beat the cheese, butter, sugar and essence until smooth. Keep aside.
How to Assemble the Roll
- Carefully unroll the cake; remove towel.
- Spread filling over cake. You can keep aside a bit of the filling for decoration.
- Reroll cake without towel.
- Wrap filled cake with wax paper and wrap again with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate with seam down at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, sprinkle top with additional powdered sugar or decorate with icing.
- Serve drizzled with syrup, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate leftover cake roll.