I had my first tryst with Russian Salad during one of the parties at the Officer’s mess soon after marriage. My liking for this salad was instantaneous. Though it took a while to figure out how to make it, I am delighted to say that the first try itself was a huge success. Well… for those of you, who are hearing the name Russian Salad for the first time, let me shed some light. It is nothing but cooked veggies and fruits mixed with Mayonnaise. 🙂 Once the mayonnaise is made, the rest is pretty much simple.
- 2 cups Mayonnaise (see Notes) (use less quantity for thick salad)
- 1/2 cup carrots Diced
- 1/2 cup potatoes Diced
- 1/2 cup beans Diced
- 1/2 cup apple Diced
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate arils
- Take a pan of water with a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- Drop the diced veggies into it and cook for a couple of minutes till done.
- Make sure they are not overcooked.
- Drain into a colander and immediately drop the veggies in a pan of cold water to avoid further cooking.
- After a minute, drain the water and keep aside.
- Take the mayonnaise in a big bowl.
- Add the vegetables, chopped apple, pomegranate arils and mix well.
- Check for seasoning and adjust according to your taste.
- Your Russian Salad is ready.