Shepherd’s Pie/Cottage Pie
Shepherd’s pie, also known as Cottage pie, is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potatoes. It is said that the term ‘Shepherd’s Pie’ should be used only if the meat is mutton or lamb (Courtesy: Wikipedia). Most countries have their own versions of this pie. It is a comforting and delicious one-dish-meal.
I tasted this dish for the first time at a party years back and I really loved it. Though I have tried out a lot of recipes from various sources, the one I got hooked onto was the recipe from Simply Recipes.
Shepherd's Pie/Cottage Pie
- 3 Potatoes big
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 8 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Stock/Broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- to taste Salt
- to taste Pepper powder
- 1-2 cups Diced vegetables
- 500 gms Minced meat
- Cook the potatoes in salted water till tender.
- Heat a pan and melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Saute onions in butter until tender, over medium heat.
- Add the vegatables according to their cooking time.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add minced meat, worcesterchire sauce and the stock and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more stock/broth as necessary to keep the mixture moist.
- Switch off heat.
- Mash potatoes in a bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.
- Spread the meat mixture in a baking dish.
- Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes. You can pipe in the potato mix as well.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for about 30 minutes or until bubbling and brown.
- Serve hot.