Spicy Crab Roast
Eating crab is always a messy affair and hence we hesitate to help ourselves with the same while eating out. That’s not the case at home. One can get as messy as one likes. January- February is the ideal time to buy crabs as they have more flesh in it as compared to rest of the year. I got some 3 spotted crab the other day and decided to prepare Spicy Crab Roast, as D loves anything spicy. Ideally this dish needs to be prepared a couple of hours in advance, so that the meat absorbs the flavour well. The crab tastes even better the next day 🙂
Spicy Crab Roast
- 500 gms Crab Cleaned and cut
- 4 Sliced onions
- 2 Chopped tomatoes
- 3 sprigs Curry leaves
- 3 teaspoons Coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons Chilli powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- to taste Salt
To be ground coarsely
- 1 inch Ginger
- 9- 10 Garlic cloves
- 3 green chillies
- 2 teaspoons Peppercorns (adjust to suit your taste)
- 2 teaspoons Fennel seeds
- Grind the ginger, garlic, green chillies, peppercorns and fennel coarsely. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the curry leaves followed by onions. Saute till slightly brown in colour.
- Add the ground paste and saute till the raw smell goes.
- Add the coriander, chilli and turmeric powders and fry for a minute.
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes and saute till oil separates.
- Add the crab pieces along with some salt.
- Cover and cook on low heat till the crab releases its juices. Give a stir occasionally.
- Take the lid off and cook further till the masala dries a bit and coats the crab pieces evenly.
- You may drizzle a bit of oil along the sides, if you want to fry it more.
- Serve hot with rice.