White Truffle Cake
How about something sweet ?? It has been a while since I had posted a dessert recipe. The other day, D was going through a recipe book and shortlisted 3 chocolate based recipes for me. After going through the first choice, I decided to try that as I had all the ingredients in stock…well almost all ingredients 😛 The recipe chosen was White Truffle Cake. The ingredient that put me on a spot was Quark or Fromage Frais, which means “fresh cheese”. I didn’t want to take chances with frozen paneer and so made some homemade Paneer/cottage cheese. Well, the cheese couldn’t get any fresher than that, right ??
I wanted to try something new with the decoration…something I never tried. The easiest option was to make some designs with melted chocolate. Making the designs wasn’t a difficult task but having a steady hand was. For a first- timer, I was pleased with the artwork, if I can call it so.. Lots of room for improvement..Hope to do better the next time… 🙂
White Truffle Cake
For the Base
- 2 Eggs
- 4 tablespoons Caster sugar
- 5 - 1/2 tablespoons Plain flour
- 50 gms Chocolate Melted white
For the Truffle topping
- 300 ml Cream Double - (I used amul )
- 300 gms Chocolate Chopped white
- 250 gms Quark fromage or frais - (I used homemade paneer)
- 2 tablespoons Chocolate Chopped
- Grease 8" round spring form pan.
- Preheat oven at 180 C.
- Whisk eggs and caster sugar in a bowl until very light and foamy and the whisk leaves a trail that lasts a few seconds when lifted.
- Sift the flour and fold in with a spoon.
- Fold in the melted chocolate and ensure that the whole mixture is well incorporated.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until springy to touch.
- Leave to cool for a while and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Return the cold cake to the tin.
- Place the cream in a saucepan and bring to boil, stirring continuously.
- Cool slightly and add the chopped chocolate and stir till the chocolate is melted and well combined.
- Stir in the Quark or fromage frais.
- If using cottage cheese, blitz it in a blender to get a smooth paste and add into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour this mixture on top of the cool cake.
- Chill in the refrigerator till it sets completely.
- For the decoration, melt the chocolate in a double boiler and tip into a piping bag.
- Drizzle onto a parchment paper to form a design of your choice and let cool to set.
- Once set, carefully slide off these designs, without breaking, using a spatula or knife.
- Decorate the Truffle cake the way you want 🙂 .