Avakkai (Andhra style Mango Pickle)
I LOVE pickles. We used to buy Avakkai pickle till I tried making it at home some time back. The best part about making this pickle is the simplicity in its preparation. Some vendors chop them up for you, which makes it even more easy. So, the next time when you spot some raw mangoes, go ahead and b
- 450 gms mango Chopped pieces (Chunks)
- 75 gms Salt
- 50 - 75 gms Mustard powder - (adjust to suit your taste)
- 75 gms Chilli powder
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons Fenugreek powder
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons Turmeric powder
- 200 ml Sesame oil - (or more)
- 1/4 cup Garlic cloves crushed (optional)
Make sure the mango pieces are dry. You may wipe each piece individually or spread out on a big platter/newspaper and leave it till it is dry. .
Mix all the masalas together.
Take the cut mango pieces in a bowl.
Add the masala and oil and mix well.
Transfer to a clean and dry jar.
Cover and leave for 3 days.
Mix well with a dry spoon.
It is ready to be used.
You may add more salt and oil if needed.