Meen Perattiyathu (Stir Fried Fish- Kerala Style)
Meen Perattiyathu is a dish close to my heart eversince I tasted this some years back. This dates back to 2005, when J was posted in Secunderabad. As luck would have it, a couple of J's classmates from Sainik Schook, Kazhakkoottam, were also here. We made it a point to meet up every weekend. It was
- 500 gms Fish cut into chunks
- 2 Onion Chopped
- handful shallots Thinly sliced - a
- 1 chopped ginger " Finely - piece
- 5 - 6 cloves chopped garlic Finely
- 3 - 4 green chillies Finely chopped
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons Kashmiri Chilli powder - (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper powder powder
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 Cinnamon " - stick
- to taste Salt
Powder the fennel seeds and cinnamon stick together and keep aside.
Heat oil in a non stick pan.
Saute the onions, shallots , ginger, garlic, green chillies aand curry leaves till almost brown.
Tip in the fish pieces along with salt and mix well.
Cover and cook on low heat till half done.
Do NOT add water.
When the fish is half cooked, add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and pepper powder and stir well.
Cover and cook further till the fish is done.
Add the powdered fennel and cinnamon and stir.
Cook till the water content is no more.
Serve hot with rice.