Panchmel Dal (Five Lentils Curry)
In my previous post, I had promised to share the recipe of Panchmel Dal. So here it goes...... Panchmel Dal is a typical Rajasthani dish with a thick gravy. As the name suggests, five types of dals/lentils are used to prepare the dish. Yet another easy and tasty dish. I got the recipe from Mharo Raj
- 1/4 cup Pigeon pea Toor Dal /
- 1/4 cup Green gram Lentils mung / Dhuli
- 1/4 cup Red lentils Masoor dal /
- 1/4 cup chick pea Chana dal Split /
- dal /1/4 Green gramMung
- 2 Onions Finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes Finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- to taste Salt
- half lime Juice of
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 - 3 green chillies Finely sliced
- 1 onion small Finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1/2 tablespoon butter Ghee Clarified / / Oil
- coriander leaves Chopped for garnish
Soak all the lentils for at least 15 minutes. Add adequate water and cook all together till done.
Keep aside. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan. Saute the onions till they turn translucent.
Add the spice powders and fry for a minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till oil separates.
Add the cooked dal into it and mix well. Add more water if required. Add salt as well.
Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes or more. Squeeze the lime juice and mix well. Keep aside.
Heat clarified butter in a separate pan. Add the mustard and cumin seeds. When they start to splutter,add the chopped onions.
Saute till the onions turn brown in colour. Add the ginger garlic paste and green chillies.
Saute till they are cooked. Switch off heat. Tip this onto the cooked lentil and mix well.
Garnish the dish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with Roti or Rice.