Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
Have I told you that my favourite TV programs are all food related ??? Masterchef Australia, Top Chef, Food Safari, Ultimake Cake Off....the list is endless.. Everytime I am in front of the TV, one can find me watching something that's related to food. One of the programs that truly inspires me is F
- 1.5 kg Chicken
- 2 tablespoons Ghee Vegetable oil or
- xbc teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 onions Large , finely chopped
- 4 - 5 cloves Garlic , finely chopped (I used paste)
- 2 teaspoons ginger Fresh , finely grated (I used paste)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander Ground
- xbd teaspoon fennel Ground
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 2 Tomatoes , peeled and chopped
- 6 pods Cardamom bruised
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Lemon grass stalk (I used grated lemon rind )
- 1 cup coconut milk Thick
Heat ghee and fry fenugreek and curry leaves until they start to brown.
Add onions, garlic and ginger and fry gently until onions are quite soft and transparent.
Add turmeric, chilli, coriander, cumin, fennel, paprika, salt and vinegar and stir well.
Add tomatoes, whole spices and lemon grass.
Add chicken and stir over medium heat until chicken is thoroughly coated with spices.
Cook covered over low heat for 40 to 50 minutes.
Add coconut milk, more salt if required and a squeeze of lemon juice if you desire.
Do not cover after adding coconut milk.